Calgary, AB. Eligible for BluEarth’s Office Hybrid Work Program
Reporting to the Manager, Engineering, this position will work on construction projects while supporting the upfront engineering work required in the development phase, as well as work required in the operations phase. Projects will vary in technology (wind, hydro, solar), size, scope, schedule, geography, and development partners, requiring diverse and flexible solution-oriented approaches.
- Create upfront electrical design concepts for new projects in coordination with other discipline engineers and team members.
- Lead the engineering design process, working closely with third-party engineering consultants.
- Proactive identification of barriers to projects or initiatives, development, and implementation of strategies to overcome such barriers, while working closely with all functional team members.
- Support the technical procurement process – review technical specifications, bids, and support bid evaluations.
- Responsible for scope, schedule, budget, and risk management related to engineering projects.
- Work closely with utilities, TFOs, and grid operators to obtain grid connections.
- Coordinate interconnection activities between all third parties.
- Support project commissioning activities on active construction projects.
- Ultimately responsible for efficiency and innovation in engineering design and cost, as well as ensuring the project meets relevant internal and external requirements of and fits well into the BluEarth fleet.
- Contribute towards continuous improvement of BluEarth’s engineering best practice processes as well as identifying new opportunities to improve project execution and operational efficiencies.
- Uphold all aspects of BluEarth’s Environmental, Health, & Safety policies, practices, and programs.
- Uphold BluEarth’s values while consistently enhancing the image and reputation of the Company.
- Other duties as required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Electrical Engineering or a related field from a recognized university
- Professional Engineer designation with APEGA
- Minimum 7 years engineering experience in the renewable energy industry (specifically related to wind, hydro, and solar).
- Significant and successful hands-on electrical engineering experience, with demonstrated proficiencies in high and / or medium voltage electrical systems (including transformer stations, interconnections, collector systems, grounding, and power houses) and communications/SCADA;
- Experience with grid operator and utility interconnection processes and requirements
- Strong working knowledge of MS Office (including Word, Excel, and Projects), CAD, ETAP, and document management systems
- Experience with electrical engineering studies and their uses / applications
- Protection and Control experience.
- PMP is considered an asset.
Personal Characteristics & Skills
- Ability to proactively plan, schedule, track, monitor, and advance project activities, all supported by superior analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated efficiency in leading and providing project support on multiple, concurrent projects involving different functional teams with varying deadlines.
- Highly flexible and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities.
- Exceptional communication, and conflict/issue resolution skills, with the ability to proactively identify and strategically work to resolve challenging situations with confidence;
- Strong work ethic and high integrity;
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion and have the confidence to ask questions to ensure clear and strategic action;
- Action-oriented, dedicated, and motivated;
- Ability to respond effectively and positively to obstacles and challenges, while earning the trust and respect of others;
- Capacity for a high attention to detail without losing sight of the big picture; Self-starter requiring limited supervision;
- Charismatic, fun, and has a sense of humour;
- Professional, diplomatic, and trustworthy;
- Passion and enthusiasm for both the position and BluEarth.
- Ability to travel within Canada and US;
- As required by a project’s lifecycle and operational requirements, ability to work extended hours;
- Valid driver’s licence;
- Work is generally carried out among an office environment, at project sites and operating plants, and outdoors (with exposure to various weather conditions); and
- May include work near heavy, electrical, and rotating equipment.
- Verification of all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada.
To apply for this position, please send your resume to email@example.com with “Senior Electrical and Project Engineer” in the subject line.
Please Note: Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.