Position Closes: January 31, 2020
Reporting to the Site Supervisor, Bow Lake, the Site Lead will be accountable for the safe and efficient operation and maintenance of the Bow Lake Wind Facility in Ontario; working with the Site Supervisor to ensure safety, environmental, production and annual budget targets are achieved.
The Site Lead provides day-to-day leadership at site, including carrying out scheduled work activities, as well as overseeing and directing other employees at the site, as per the Site Supervisor’s instruction.
- Assist with establishing and maintaining a working environment conducive to team work, creativity, and positive morale, actively promoting BluEarth Asset Management Inc.’s (BEAM) culture and values;
- Assist with on-site implementation of health & safety policies, practices and programs designed to motivate employees to reduce or eliminate occupational accidents, injuries and other hazards related to company’s operations;
- Responsible for leading the work of other technicians on site, as per the direction of the Site Supervisor;
- Assist with completing reports and documents related to plant performance and equipment, following-up with suppliers and service providers when required, and preparing reports or notifications as require;
- Perform scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, troubleshooting and repairs of wind turbine subassemblies and related components.
- Operate and care for company property and equipment in an efficient and safe manner;
- Perform status checks including clearing error codes on wind turbines and repairing the problem;
- Grease/torque wind turbines;
- Change gearbox oil in a designated area or wind field;
- Replace mechanical components;
- Service blade and hub components as required;
- Inspect and facilitate maintenance of collector electrical equipment, communications systems, access roads, gates and other site infrastructure;
- Complete work orders, time cards and other paperwork when required for specific project or assignment;
- Maintain respectful and harmonious working relationships with all external stakeholders on behalf of BEAM and the owners;
- Providing operational support to sites across Canada including covering Wind or Solar Technicians during absences, as required;
- Upholds all aspects of BluEarth and BEAM’s Environmental, Health, & Safety policies, practices, and programs;
- Uphold the company’s core values; and
- All other duties as assigned by the supervisor or upper management.
Key Success Factors
- Operate the facility while maintaining zero environmental, health and safety incidents and/or occurrences;
- Operate the facility to achieve greater than 98% availability, and maximizing project return while respecting approved budgets;
- Develop a culture of team work, pride and ownership at the Bow Lake facility;
- Maintaining key relationships with landowners, stakeholders and agencies.
- Wind Turbine Technician Certificate, Technical Diploma or Trade Certificate in Mechanical or Electrical;
- Other equivalent combinations of directly related post-secondary education and directly related experience may be considered.
- Minimum four years of wind power experience;
- Demonstrated competency in a leadership role.
Personal Characteristics & Skills
- Proven leadership skills, including conflict resolution;
- Strong technical knowledge of wind farm operations and turbines, including functionality, design and components;
- Experience working around high, medium, and low voltage equipment;
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety regulations, and operations, service and other procedural manuals;
- Ability to read and understand electrical and hydraulic schematics;
- Familiarity and competency with industry standard SCADA systems and software;
- Excellent troubleshooting skills for both electrical and mechanical systems;
- Familiarity with testing and troubleshooting equipment such as multimeters, voltage testers, etc.;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to prioritize and reschedule priorities as needed;
- Highly flexible and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities;
- Solid understanding of budgeting and ability to develop and use financial and non-financial metrics and targets to assist in managing the facility;
- Possess an action-oriented approach with a strong work ethic and high integrity;
- Strategic thinker – able to understand and evaluate technical issues in relation to the overall business;
- Able to exercise independent judgement and discretion, as well as act in a professional manner when representing the company;
- Committed to excellence in personal and professional conduct and performance.
- Valid class G driver’s license, satisfactory 5-year driver’s abstract and 3-year insurance history;
- Ability to travel within Canada and internationally;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office product such as Excel, Power Point, and Outlook;
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.;
- Physically capable of working in various plant and field conditions, including working at heights in excess of 300 feet, and working in variable and adverse weather conditions, if safe to do so; and
- Ability to work a varying schedule including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays, in addition to being on-call.
To apply for this position, please send your resume to email@example.com with “Site Lead – Bow Lake” in the subject line.
Please Note: Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.