This position is based in southern Ontario (Belleville area) with up to 50% travel as necessary to support operations.
Position Closes: December 3, 2021
Reporting to the Solar Site Supervisor this position will be accountable for the safe and efficient operation and maintenance of several solar assets in Ontario.
Accountabilities and Duties:
- Managing complex technical issues related to the operation of various solar facilities, including scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, troubleshooting, repairs, etc.;
- Responsible for overseeing any sub trades/contractors who are working or performing activities at solar sites;
- Completing daily SCADA monitoring and taking appropriate corrective actions during upset conditions;
- Daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual reporting to the Site Supervisor on performance and operation of solar facilities;
- Completing work orders, time cards and any other required paperwork for the specific project/assignment daily;
- Coordinating with the Site Supervisor to maintain cost control of site operations;
- Managing facilities in accordance with various environmental approval documents and permit related requirements, as well as assisting the preparation of necessary reporting and compliance documentation for governing and monitoring authorities;
- Responsible for implementing, performing duties and operating sites in accordance with BEAM’s Health, Safety & Environment (HSE) policies, practices and programs;
- Identifying any hazards and recommending solutions that will limit or eliminate the hazard;
- Operating and caring for company property and equipment in an efficient and safe manner;
- Coordinating with various project team members and sub-contractors to ensure cost effective, efficient, safe and timely completion of facility related projects;
- Coordinating with landowners, various project stakeholders and community members as required;
- Coordinating with various community events while demonstrating corporate community involvement and upholding BluEarth’s values, as required;
- Providing operational support to sites across Canada including covering Wind Technicians during absences, as required;
- Uphold all aspects of BEAM’s Health, Safety & Environmental policies, practices, and programs and work to ensure that all activities are administered with the same care and requirements such that occupational accidents, injuries, and other hazards related to BEAM’s activities are minimized and/or avoided;
- Uphold BEAM’s values and consistently enhance the image and reputation of the Company.
- Other duties as required.
- Trade Certificate in Electrical; or
- Other equivalent combinations of directly related post-secondary education and directly related experience may be considered.
- Minimum of two years electrical experience is required;
- Minimum two years of Renewable Power experience is an asset;
- Experience in an operationally-intensive business;
- Strong knowledge of solar farms, including functionality, design and components is an asset; and
- Previous experience working around high, medium, and low voltage equipment is an asset.
Personal Characteristics & Skills
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety regulations, operational, service as well as other procedural manuals;
- Ability to read and understand electrical and civil schematics;
- Excellent troubleshooting skills for both electrical and mechanical systems;
- Familiarity with testing and troubleshooting equipment such as multimeters, battery testers, line locators etc.;
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office products such as One Note, Word, Excel, Power Point, One Note and Outlook;
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision; able to work with and lead a team;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written; able to write routine reports and correspondences;
- Excellent organizational skills with an ability to prioritize and reschedule priorities as needed;
- Highly flexible and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities;
- Possess an action/solution-oriented approach to problem solving;
- Demonstrates a strong work ethic, high integrity and ability to take ownership for your actions and responsibilities;
- Strategic thinker, able to prioritize and move easily from big picture thinking to detailed execution work; and
- Able to exercise independent judgement and discretion, as well as act in a professional manner when representing the company.
- Valid driver’s license;
- Ability to travel within Canada and U.S.;
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada;
- Physically capable of working safely in various environmental conditions, including cold and hot weather;
- Physically capable of lifting and maneuvering 50lb Solar Modules;
- Completion of a satisfactory pre-employment medical assessment, including Urine Drug Screen and / or Breath Alcohol test;
- Verification of all required doses of a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada; and
- Ability to work a varying schedule including early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and holidays, as well as on-call
To apply for this position, please send your resume to email@example.com with “Solar Technician” in the subject line.
Please Note: Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.