Position Closes: July 5, 2021
The BEROC Operator is responsible for operations, forecasting, scheduling, monitoring, and reporting real-time functions from BluEarth’s Remote Operations Centre in Calgary, Alberta. These functions are combined with providing 24/7 operations to the Company’s growing portfolio of commercial-scale wind, solar, and run-of-river hydroelectric facilities across Canada and the United States. The BEROC Operator will be part of a team of operators on a 24-hour rotating shift schedule accountable for the real-time oversight and dispatch of the renewable power generation portfolio in compliance with all applicable safety and regulatory requirements.
Accountabilities and Duties
- Act as the single point of contact and controlling authority for deployment and dispatch of transmission-connected generation facilities and associated equipment to ensure safe and efficient operations in compliance with regulatory and grid operator requirements;
- Monitor real-time performance of the renewable fleet, seeking to optimize safety, power generation and regulatory compliance by:
- Investigating alarms and remotely resetting wind turbines or other resettable turbines, generator, or system faults
- Monitoring trends in facility performance, weather, and resource to proactively identify potential issues
- Notifying facility operators of trend or fault issues, communicating effectively to support them as much or as little as required to optimize staff and public safety, the environment, and power generation
- Supporting safe operations of remote facilities by acting as a call-point and monitor for lone workers
- Coordinating, facilitating, and tracking planned and forced outages to ensure a safe and effective removal or restoration process is maintained
- Use 3-way communications with regional transmission operators, and independent system operators when communicating during all real-time activities;
- Document all operating events in accordance with BEROC procedures, ensuring management of change and inter-shift BEROC communication standards are always upheld;
- Support the development, deployment, and continual improvement of standard and emergency operating procedures, as well as work instructions, and proactively participate in their continual improvement and enhanced where needed;
- Operate and monitor SCADA systems and related analytics tools to ensure functionality and effective performance is maintained, reporting to field staff all irregularities in data, communications, or control capabilities;
- Support the compilation of relay reports, equipment data, and historical data trend analysis to document all operating events/non-compliances for follow-up;
- Effectively coordinate all normal and emergency control room activities, with field personnel and technicians, head office staff and external entities;
- Seek continual improvement within the scope of control room activities;
- Maintain an individual development plan in collaboration with the BEROC supervisor, including continuous training;
- Promote a strong team culture and work environment by assisting teammates to accomplish goals, mentoring teammates to lift the performance of the entire team, and celebrating successes.
- Uphold all aspects of BluEarth’s Health, Safety & Environmental policies, practices, and programs;
- Uphold BluEarth’s core values; and
- Other duties as required.
- Engineering or Electrical/Mechanical Technology diploma or degree and/or equivalent experience; and
- May be required to be certified and qualified in the recognized work protection practices and NERC Operator certification where applicable.
Experience and Skills
- Experience working in power generation, transmission, or distribution industry with strong preference towards renewable power experience;
- Remote operations or related experience in control/dispatch-type environments;
- Experience working around high, medium, and low voltage equipment;
- Technical knowledge of renewable power generation operations, functionality and design;
- Ability to read and interpret electrical schematics and other procedural manuals:
- Troubleshooting skills for electrical, PLC and/or communications systems;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills;
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work effectively;
- Excellent computer capabilities; and
- Strong attention to detail.
- Safety conscious;
- Ability to remain calm under pressure;
- Reliable and adaptable to change;
- Abide with all Company Policy and Business practises;
- Ability to work a 12-hour shift schedule that includes nights, weekends, and holidays;
- Ability to work alone and independently at the ROC when on shift;
- Ability to travel occasionally within Canada and USA; and
- Ability to lift-up to 20 pounds.
Where you will work, your work schedule, and other important information
- You will work out of our Calgary corporate office, located at 214-11 Avenue SW
- This position is office-based and not eligible for BluEarth’s hybrid work program
- This position is safety sensitive – negative results of a pre-employment Urine Drug Screen and / or Breath Alcohol test is required
- Only candidates who are legally permitted to work in Canada will be considered
- We are currently using technology to conduct virtual interviews to adhere to physical distancing requirements
To apply for this position, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “BEROC Operator” in the subject line.
Please Note: Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.