BluEarth is a private company focused upon commercial-scale renewable energy development and operations. As an independent renewable power producer, our goal is to build, own, and operate sustainable wind, hydro, and solar generation projects. At BluEarth, we are developing and operating a portfolio of energy projects that optimizes people, planet, and profits. We have The Power to Change the Future TM.
Our foundational values are:
Our organizational values are:
Supervisor, Hydro Operations (Sunshine Coast)
This position will be located in Sechelt, BC with commute to site on a weekly basis by company crew boat or float plane.
- Reports directly to the Director, Hydro Operations;
- Hydro Operators report directly to this role.
Accountabilities and Key Functions
This position will be responsible for the operation and maintenance of seven hydroelectric run-of-river power plants in the Sunshine Coast area of BC.
Key Supervisor functions include:
- Monitor and improve the performance of the hydro facilities on an ongoing basis;
- Provide leadership to operators and be involved in all areas of people management;
- Scheduling and prioritizing weekly work and coordinating projects;
- Establish and maintain a working environment conducive to team work, creativity and positive morale;
- Take a leading role in the development and implementation of all aspects of health & safety policies, practices and programs designed to motivate employees to reduce or eliminate occupational accidents, injuries and other hazards related to company’s operations;
- Coordinate outages to minimize production impact;
- Track short and long term plant issues and prioritize, schedule and coordinate repairs as necessary;
- Maintain close working and harmonious relationships with all external stakeholders;
- Manage and report on plant budget allocations;
- Coordinate and manage minor maintenance and repair work both with internal staff and third party contractors and consultants;
- Carry out maintenance, installations and troubleshooting within boundaries of competency when needed;
- Support third party service providers such as engineers and environmental consultants;
- Ensure all environmental responsibilities are adhered to on a proactive basis by working closely with conservation authorities, and all applicable government agencies, as required by the site specific approvals, using the regulatory group to support you in this;
- Uphold all aspects of BluEarth’s Environmental, Health & Safety policies, practices, and programs; and
- Uphold the company’s core values;
- Perform other tasks and duties, as required.
As the Company continues to grow, the accountabilities and tasks of this position may change accordingly.
- Relevant post secondary education;
- Journeyman certificate is highly preferred.
- Previous run-of-river hydro facility operations experience considered an asset;
- Experience in a growing company;
- Experience in an operationally-intensive business.
Personal Characteristics & Skills
- Capable of identifying and addressing problems effectively, proactively and respectfully in order to achieve objectives of BluEarth;
- Experience leading, coaching and giving constructive feedback;
- Excellent coordination skills and demonstrated efficiency in providing support to multiple concurrent projects;
- Strategic thinker – able to prioritize and move easily from big picture thinking to detailed execution work;
- Highly flexible and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities;
- Ability to understand technical issues and how they relate to the business;
- Ability to incorporate financial information into business decisions;
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Strong work ethic and high integrity;
- Demonstrated leadership qualities including conflict/issue resolution;
- Action-oriented and able to work with and lead a team
- Able to earn the trust of others;
- Persistent, dedicated, motivated, and sense of humour;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Professional, respectful, and charismatic;
- Exercises independent judgement and discretion in performing tasks.
- Valid class 5 driver’s license;
- Ability to occasionally travel within Canada and internationally;
- Physically capable of working in various plant and field conditions;
- Ability to work a varying schedule including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays, as well as on-call.