BluEarth is a private company focused upon commercial-scale renewable energy development and operations. As an independent renewable power producer, our goal is to build, own, and operate sustainable wind, water, and solar generation projects. At BluEarth, we are developing and operating a portfolio of energy projects that optimizes people, planet, and profits. We have The Power to Change the Future TM.
Our foundational values are:
Our organizational values are:
Calgary, Alberta; with significant travel to project sites and participating communities as well as travel to support development and acquisition activities globally.
- Reports directly to the Senior Lead, Development, or designate.
- Is a member of the Business Development functional team.
Accountabilities and Key Functions
Projects will vary depending upon size, scope, schedule, and geography, requiring varied and flexible approaches to project management. This position will support the direct, hands-on management of renewable energy projects to ensure their successful execution (i.e., achieving targeted commercial operation date safely, on-time, and on-budget).
This position requires supporting Project Leads in the effective day-to-day management of projects under development, including: contract, HS&E, procurement, schedule, and budget accountabilities; communication activities with key stakeholders, project partners, and regulators; coordination of subject matter experts and contractors; support of debt financing and term conversion initiatives; as well as providing a bridge from the development phase of projects through construction to the start of commercial operations. The position will have direct accountability of some project subject matters, including but not limited to Land and Municipal & County engagement.
Key functions of this position include:
- Support project development and project management activities from project concept to start of commercial operation – coordinating BluEarth’s functional teams for project purposes – working to proactively identify project barriers and implement strategies to overcome such barriers;
- Develop, clarify, and manage project scope, project execution plans, track and manage contract deliverables, HS&E requirements, insurance needs and QA/QC plans;
- Support technology selection, procurement initiatives, and project dependencies to ensure targeted development and construction outcomes are achieved (i.e., projects delivered safely, on-time, and on-budget) in support of Project Leads;
- Support engagement with Aboriginal partners, leadership, and communities, including the negotiation of investigative use permits, memorandums of understandings, accommodation agreements, and the like where required, as well as consulting with other local communities and leaders;
- Coordinate project specific tasks including, among others, permitting and approvals, project communications, engineering and design, procurement, and construction review processes as well as providing an effective transitional basis into commercial operations in support of Project Leads;
- As part of the transition from construction to operation, support the coordination of close-out activities, conclusion of punch-list items, and finalization of change orders towards ensuring an orderly and effective transition and timely debt term conversion in support of Finance team and Project Leads;
- Direct contributions towards continuous improvement of BluEarth’s development and construction best practice processes as well as identifying new opportunities to improve project execution and operational efficiencies;
- Uphold all aspects of BluEarth’s Health, Safety & Environmental policies, practices, and programs and work to ensure that all contracts and agreements are implemented and administered with the same care and requirements such that occupational accidents, injuries, and other hazards related to BluEarth’s activities are minimized and/or avoided;
- Support BluEarth’s development team is delivering projects on time and on budget;
- Uphold BluEarth’s values and consistently enhance the image and reputation of the Company;
- Such other acquisition, development, construction, and/or operational functions as the Company may reasonably require in connection with the pursuit of its goals.
As the position continues to evolve, and BluEarth advances its growth plan, modifications to the key functions and geographies set out herein are likely.
- Master’s Degree or Degree in Project Management, Business Administration, Planning, Engineering, or a related field is strongly preferred, but consideration will be given to those that possess tangible skills.
- 2-3 years of project development and project management experience within the renewable energy sector;
- Possess excellent, hands-on project management skills and demonstrated efficiency in providing project development support on multiple concurrent projects;
- Successful experience with all aspects of project development, permitting, consultation, construction, and integration to operations.
Personal Characteristics & Skills
- Highly flexible and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities;
- Ability to proactively plan, schedule, track, monitor, and advance project activities, all supported by superior analytical and problem solving skills;
- Willingness to learn standard commercial contract language to eventually become comfortable reading, interpreting and enforcing contract terms;
- Demonstrated efficiency in providing project development and project management support on multiple, concurrent projects involving different functional teams with varying deadlines;
- Exceptional communication, and conflict/issue resolution skills, with the ability to proactively identify and strategically work to resolve challenging situations with confidence;
- Knowledge of MS Office, including Project, Word, Excel, and document management systems;
- Strong work ethic and high integrity;
- Ability to exercise independent judgement and discretion and have the confidence to ask questions to ensure clear and strategic action;
- Action-oriented, dedicated, and deliberate;
- Ability to respond effectively and positively to obstacles and challenges, while earning the trust and respect of others;
- Self-starter requiring limited supervision;
- Charismatic, fun, and has a sense of humour;
- Professional, diplomatic, polite, and trustworthy;
- Passion and enthusiasm for both the position and BluEarth.
- Ability to travel within Canada and internationally;
- As required by a project’s lifecycle and operational requirements, ability to work extended hours;
- Valid Class 5 driver’s license;
- Work is generally carried out among an office environment, at remote project development and greenfield sites and operating plants, and outdoors (with exposure to various weather conditions);
- Work in close proximity to heavy, electrical, and rotating equipment.