BluEarth is a private company focused upon commercial-scale renewable energy development and operations. As an independent renewable power producer, our goal is to build, own, and operate sustainable wind, hydro, and solar generation projects. At BluEarth, we are developing and operating a portfolio of energy projects that optimizes people, planet, and profits. We have The Power to Change the Future TM.
Our foundational values are:
Our organizational values are:
Hydro Operator, Mechanical
This position will be located in BluEarths Narrows Inlet hydroelectric power project, 30km north west of Sechelt, BC. Daily commute on weekdays to site by company crew boat is required. Occasional work at other local BluEarth facilities and travel of up to two weeks duration to other non-local operating renewable energy facilities in BC will be required on an annual basis and as needed.
- Reports directly to the area Operations Supervisor, or designate.
Accountabilities and Key Functions
BluEarth is looking for a full time hydroelectric Plant Operator. Working in a team environment with other Plant Operators, the successful candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day operation and maintenance of three hydroelectric run-of-river power plants near Sechelt, BC. The work includes the care for the generating facilities, maintenance of a logging road network and transmission-line right of way. The Plant Operator will attend the sites 3-4 times per week and must be available for 24/7 call out and fast response to abnormal operating conditions. Monitoring and assuring compliance with technical and environmental requirements is key for the successful operation of the plants.
Key Operations & Maintenance functions include:
- Monitor and assess the performance of the hydro facilities, through annual operating reviews, including production, corrective and preventative maintenance programs;
- Respond to operational upsets of every nature in a timely fashion;
- Establish and maintain a working environment conducive to team work, creativity and positive morale;
- Develop and implement all aspects of health & safety policies, practices and programs designed to motivate employees to reduce or eliminate occupational accidents, injuries and other hazards related to company’s operations;
- Maintain close working and harmonious relationships with all external stakeholders;
- Manage minor maintenance and repair work through third party contractors and consultants;
- Provide support to the Operations Supervisor in co-ordinating and supervising major maintenance and repair works;
- Carry out Mechanical maintenance, installations and troubleshooting within boundaries of journeyman competencies;
- Support third party service providers such as engineers and environmental consultants;
- Work with BluEarth staff and service providers to maintain various stream gauges and keeping them up to appropriate standards, downloading, analyzing and compiling data to ensure operational compliance;
- Ensure all environmental responsibilities are adhered to on a proactive basis by working closely with conservation authorities, and all applicable government agencies, as required by the site specific approvals, using the regulatory group to support you in this;
- Assist in execution of the Emergency Response Plan (ERP) in the event it is initiated;
- Uphold all aspects of BluEarth’s Environmental, Health & Safety policies, practices, and programs; and
- Uphold the company’s core values.
- Journeyman millwright, mechanic or comparable qualification.
- Other equivalent combinations of directly related post-secondary education and directly related experience may be considered.
- Previous run-of-river hydro facility operations experience would be an asset;
- Capable of identifying and addressing problems effectively, proactively and respectfully in order to achieve objectives of BluEarth;
- Ability to understand technical issues and how they relate to the business;
- Ability to incorporate financial information into business decisions;
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written;
- Excellent organizational skills;
- Ability to prioritize and reschedule priorities as needed;
- Experience in a growing company;
- Experience in an operationally-intensive business;
- Excellent coordination skills and demonstrated efficiency in providing support to multiple concurrent projects;
- Highly flexible and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities;
- Strong communications skills, both oral and written.
Personal Characteristics & Skills
- Strong work ethic and high integrity;
- Strategic thinker – able to prioritize and move easily from big picture thinking to detailed execution work;
- Demonstrated leadership qualities including conflict/issue resolution;
- Action-oriented and able to work with and lead a team;
- Able to earn the trust of others;
- Persistent, dedicated, motivated, and sense of humour;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Professional, respectful, and charismatic;
- Exercises independent judgement and discretion in performing tasks.
- Valid class 5 driver’s license;
- Ability to travel within Canada and internationally;
- Physically capable of working in various plant and field conditions;
- Physically capable of traveling by crew boat and truck to and from site
- Ability to work a varying schedule including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays, as well as on-call.